|Bloomsbury The Arcadian Library Online
"An astonishingly rich collection of books on travels, history, science and literature concerning the Middle East”
Bulletin of the School of African and Oriental Studies
Arcadian Library Online has won the prestigious 2018 PROSE Awards' R.R. Hawkins Award for excellence in scholarly publishing.
Arcadian Library Online beat 550 other entries to win the industry’s tophonour, after first winning the E-product category and then Excellence in Reference Works.
The Association of American Publishers’ annual PROSE Awards recognise the very best in professional and scholarly publishing by bringing attention to distinguished books, journals, and electronic content in over 50 categories. It has been judged by peer publishers, librarians, academics and medical professionals since 1976.
Nigel Fletcher-Jones PhD, Director, The American University in Cairo Press and Co-Chair of the 2018 PROSE Awards said:
“Arcadian Library Online…is superbly designed to fulfil the deeply worthy and opportune mission of the library to explain part of the intellectual debt that the West owes to the Islamic world, and, as a result is a thoroughly worthy winner of the 2018 R.R. Hawkins Award.”
Arcadian Library Online is available for purchase by institutions on a perpetual access basis.
Library modules include:
Module 1: History and Science and Medicine (January 2017)
Module 2: Travel and Exploration(coming soon)
Module 3: Turcica: History of Turkey and Ottoman Empire (coming soon)
This rare and important special collection of history of science and medicine manuscripts, incunabula, early printed books and monographs showcases the contribution of early Arab and Persian scientists, doctors and thinkers; their translation, reception and influence in Europe and their lasting influence on the development of Western scientific and medical knowledge.
The Arcadian Library Online platform enables researchers to explore the riches of the Arcadian Library's collection. Images are displayed in high resolution, full color and include bindings, clasps and page edges. Choose between an English or Arabic interface and search in either language.
is an exceptional, privately-owned library, which respects and celebrates the centuries-old interface between Europe and the Middle East. Through the rich resource of its holdings, this beacon of knowledge demonstrates to the world the enduring relationship that has bound the West to its neighboring civilization beyond the shores of the Mediterranean Sea for centuries.
The Arcadian Library preserves book after book full of travelers 'observations and artists' images, scientists' and physicians' knowledge, literary, scholarly and historical influences. This written heritage reminds us how our different yet dependent cultures have met, related and learned from each other for hundreds of years. In addition to rare printed books, the Arcadian Library also possesses manuscript and documentary material of very great importance and rarity.
Arcadian Library Online brings together the riches of the Arcadian Library in digital form for the first time. Is designed to enable easy exploration of the rich holdings of the Arcadian Library.
Benefits for researchers
- View high-resolution, full colour images (400ppi) including bindings, clasps and page edges
- View images in full screen, zoom, rotate, single or double page view
- Access full catalogue records including available provenance and condition notes
- Special features including decoration, marginalia, signature marks and illustrations indexed at a page level to enable quick jumps to pages of interest
- Search or browse fully indexed metadata with dedicated taxonomy enabling filtered search by topic, place, period, people, language or content type
- Navigate directly via linked TOCs to page images at part, title and section heading levels, where available
- View metadata and images in either English or Arabic interface, with transliterated titles
- Search metadata in English or Arabic, with integrated Arabic keyboard
- Read accompanying commentary articles linked to primary texts
- Easily cite, share, favorite and bookmark content
- Print and download images
Benefits for librarians
- Full institutional authentication (SAMS), supports SHIBBOLETH
- COUNTER 4 reporting
- Library branding
- Promotional support – flyers, logos and web banners
- MARC21 records including Library of Congress Subject Headings, book descriptions and DOI- based persistent URL links
History of Science and Medicine collection
The Arcadian Library’s History of Science and Medicine collection includes manuscripts, incunabula, early printed books and monographs from the 10 th to 20 th centuries. The collection showcases the contribution of early Arab and Persian scientists, doctors and thinkers; their translation, reception and influence in Europe and their lasting influence on the development of Western scientific and medical knowledge. It includes:
- Texts on agriculture, astronomy, chemistry, herbalism, mathematics, medicine, natural history, pharmacology, philosophy, physics and surgery
- Texts on the plants, animals and natural environment of the Middle East
- Texts on travel and scientific expeditions exploring the Middle East
- Texts in Arabic, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Persian and Spanish
Commentary articles about the collection
Read expert commentary from The Arcadian Library providing context for the collection and find out about the foundation and purpose of the library.
Download short presentation to find out more about the Arcadian Library Online and the benefits for your institution.
FREE TRIAL OR DEMO
Contact us today to arrange a trial, price quote, or find out more. Email directly: email@example.com